Full sized Coast Event Map available here: Coast Event Map
The event is completely free and will be fun for all ages! The route is along Ocean, Colorado and Main in downtown Santa Monica and the Main Street area. Another bonus is that it's also opening day for the Colorado Esplanade which is a new pedestrian and bicycle friendly walkway that connects the Downtown Santa Monica Expo Line station with the entrance to the Pier.
There will be great people watching during the event, so why not get in a little exercise and then sit down at a restaurant along the route (or bring your own picnic) and take in the sights. The beach is also a short distance from the route!
Santa Monica is one of the world’s great destinations not just for its majestic coastline, but also because it has the artistic and cultural offerings to match. At the Culture Zone, get a little taste of what the arts of Santa Monica have to offer:
Active Santa Monica Presents Community Class Demonstrations:
|10:00||10:30||Join Sarah Marsh-Chiba at The GROOVE. Dance and move to amazing music! Simple movements with no complicated choreography.|
|11:00||11:30||Zumba with Diana Flores. An intro to Zumba that will get you moving. It’s exercise in disguise! Join Diana for an exhilarating Zumba workout!|
|12:00||12:30||Hoopfit Workout with Julia Snyder. Do you remember playing with a hula hoop back in the day? Join Julia to for a fun low impact cardio workout that strengthens and tones your entire body, especially your core.|
|1:00||1:30||Join Sarah Marsh-Chiba for a Cardio Dance Blast! Disco dancing one minute to hip hop the next, workout with fun energetic sounds from across the world and across different eras!|
|2:00||2:30||Can’t get enough of Zumba? Come back for more Zumba fun with Diana Flores!|
Camera Obscura Art Lab
Santa Monica’s Adult Art Lab experience is open to all at Coast on June 5! Please see the schedule below:
Parklet on Ocean Avenue
|9:00 am||3:00 pm||Demonstration – Weaving and Spinning with Anna, Trudy and Jamie, Members of the Southern California Weavers Guild|
|9:00 am||12:00 pm||Demonstration - Watercolorist Timothy Kitz|
|10:00 am||1:00 pm||Participate – Receive a Poem from Brian Sonia-Wallace|
Inside the Camera Obscura Art Lab
|9:00 am||3:00 pm||Participate – Sumi Ink Club with Alexis Macnab Draw, doodle, map, and portray your soul on a shared length of paper with your fellow Coasters.|
|12:00 pm||3:00 pm||Participate – Pen & Ink Portraits with Miles You are welcome to watch or take a seat and pose for Miles Lewis as he draws 5-10 minute brush pen portraits.|
|9:00 am||3:00 pm||Participate – Make a Collaged Card with Tiffany Peterson Join Tiffany to make Collaged Trading and Tarot Cards out of magazines.|
|10:00 am||1:00 pm||Demonstration – Wet Felted Painting with Sara Smelt who will be working on a large wool portrait using her painterly felt technique.|
|10:00 am||3:00 pm||Demonstration – Silver Enameling with Sharon Kaplan Take a look at the delicate process of enameling on silver with this master jeweler.|
|12:00 pm||3:00 pm||Participate – Sing or Play-a-long with Jon Lee who will be playing piano and ukulele. You’re invited to sing along with him to folk, country, and rock songs - requests welcome!|
|9:00 am||3:00 pm||Demonstration – Printmaker Zeina Baltagi demonstrates the printing press, making bookmarks from a cut linoleum block.|
|9:00 am||3:00 pm||Demonstration – Printmaker Patricia Mitchell demonstrates screenprinting bumper stickers. Her next class is Watercolor Monotype on June 25.|
|9:00 am||3:00 pm||Demonstration – Painter Frank Valdez demonstrates sketching and painting with a live model, in the same setup that he uses for his weekly Saturday afternoon Long Pose Life Drawing classes.|
- Visit the historic Camera Obscura and view a fascinating panorama cast by the light of the sun
- Visit The Broad Stage booth for a sneak peek at their upcoming season.
- Viver Brasil
Discover, enjoy and play along with these great performers and artists curated and presented by Community Arts Resources especially for Coast participants.
- Contra Tiempo
- Site-specific performances on the triangle at Main and Colorado and in Tongva Park by this LA-based multilingual urban Latin dance theater company.
- The creative collective of artists Zoey Taylor and David Connelly who build the world the way they wish to live in. Visit their installation at the Sustainability Zone in Tongva Park.
- Spinning transportation themed tunes in the Mobility Zone at the Civic Auditorium. When not here - dublab is a non-profit, online radio station dedicated to the growth of music, arts and culture.
- La Love Band
- Dance grooves, soul, classic rock, Latin, country and reggae
- Mad Alsacians
- Hot jazz sounds with a French flair up and down Main Street (between Marine and Pico). Under the artistic direction of Jean-Paul Monsché, listen to a soulful repertoire that includes timeless selections from the "Hot Club" era of Paris
- John Steven Morgan
- Between Dogtown Coffee and Santa Monica Farms, listen to this wonderful local pianist as he tickles the 88 keys of his portable instrument.
- Poem Store
- Look for local poet Jacqueline Suskin on the Colorado Esplanade. Give her a subject and she’ll write a poem on the spot for you on her manual typewriter!
- Don’t be surprised if you see somewhere along the route World Champion skater Trey Knight, a Cirque du Soleil featured performer, professional dancer, and elite skating coach performing with his team of professionals.
- These two performers on stilts tower over us under the direction of Eros Biox. Actor, clown, stilt-walker, fire performer, and puppeteer, Biox is the founding father of LA's Stilt Circus and appeared as a principle character in Cirque du Soleil's "DELIRIUM.” On Colorado Esplanade and Main St between Ocean Ave and the SM Civic Auditorium.
- The Sycons
- Solar powered DJs, audio/visual artists, and alt energy, alt transportation activists. Listen to their beats at the City Zone in front of City Hall.
- Viver Brasil - Samba in the Streets
- Bahian Carnival style drumming, dancing and capoeira on Ocean Avenue between Wilshire Boulevard and Colorado Boulevard with this vibrant local company under the direction of founders Linda Yudin and Luiz Badaró.
Getting there: Traffic will likely be a bit tough due because of the weekend visitors and closed off street so it might be easiest to walk, bike or take public transportation to get there. See the blog post below if you plan to use a bus, Metro Expo light rail or Breeze bike share to get there.
Over 50 Santa Monica businesses and organizations will offer specials during COAST. Go to www.buylocalSM.com/Coast for more details.
The open streets style events originated in Bogotá, Colombia way back in 1974. In Colombia they are called Ciclovías.
Find the location of all Metro Expo light rail stations, route maps, schedules, parking in...